Complete refurbishment and extension of a 1960’s building commissioned by the Worshipful Company of Butchers.
Complete refurbishment and extension of a 1960’s building commissioned by the Worshipful Company of Butchers. The building has been significantly extended to provide a new core and additional work space.
The Butchers’ Company was granted its charter by James Ist in 1605. Their hall in Bartholomew Close is their 5th, and was built in 1960.The company represents the meat industry past, present and future and has close ties to the nearby Smithfield Market.
The focus of our scheme was to improve the circulation within the building and reorder its internal spaces so that the building better suited its modern uses. Our work included the insertion of a new multi lift core and a two-storey roof extension.
The building’s internal spaces were renovated, including the dramatic Great Hall, court rooms and other supporting functions. This included a new reception with terrazzo flooring and the restoration of the building’s original timber panelling.